Sunday, December 11, 2005

A Child of the 70's?...Definately!

I received one of those silly emails titled "If You Were A Child in the 70's..."

After looking it over and laughing out loud, I have to agree with several of the items on the list.

For your entertainment, I have selected a few of my favorites and added comments.


"You Were A Child in the 70's if..."

1)You made baby chocolate cakes in your Easy Bake Oven and washed them down with snow cones from your Snoopy Snow Cone Machine

What girl in the 70's didn't eat semi-raw cake batter cooked by a light bulb??? Yum! I however, did not possess a Snoopy Snow Cone Machine. I always wanted one. I was jealous of all my friends that did have one. It made the best teaspoon of shaved ice!

2)You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it.

Yeah, I had one of these too. Mine was blue with a white banana seat. My memories of this bike are tragic. It was too big for me when I got it. It was hard for me to get on it. One time I fell and my head hit the fender of a pick-up truck (kinda explains alot right there, doesn't it?). Cracked my head open. Lots of Blood. Need I say more? Ouch!

3)You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels. The skates also had 4 wheels.

I had these! If you roller skated out in the street, the metal wheels made sparks as you skated.

4)You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute

I am embarrassed to say that I did. What was I thinking?

5)You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island.

This was that wierd show that came on right after Love Boat. I have two memories about this: Tattoo yelling "The plane! The plane!" and a really creepy episode about a ventriloquist doll that came to life. Freaked me out and gave me nightmares for weeks!

6)You had either a "bowl cut" or "pixie", not to mention the "Dorothy Hamill" because your Mom was sick of braiding your hair. People sometimes thought you were a boy.

Sad and so true. My mom also tried to push some story on me about how it would make my hair grow in thicker. Yeah, whatever!

7)You wore a poncho, gauchos and knickers

I had the poncho (it was made out of yarn), because after all I AM a brown girl! I could never talk my mom into the gauchos and knickers. To this day, I still don't know why.

8)You had the Donny and Marie dolls with the pink and purple satiny shredded outfits.

Yeah I did! I LOVED them! I even had the stage...it came with a record.

9)Your hairstyle was described as having "wings" or "feathers" and you kept it "pretty" with the comb you kept in your back pocket.

Don't even talk to me about this....Too embarrassing!

10)You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie.

Know who they are???? We are still great friends!

11)You thought Olivia Newton John's song "Physical" was about aerobics (and of course, cool leg warmers!)

Are you kidding! I didn't know what it was REALLY about until a couple of years ago when they told me on VH-1!

12)You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat.

I didn't have a subscription, but Tiger Beat was the BEST! It had the best posters of Shaun Cassidy.

I know these make me sound totally old, but really I am very young at heart. How many of these did YOU remember?

2 Comments:

At 2:40 AM, Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Me, me, me, me, me. (Hand raised.) I’m a child of the 70’s. Remember…“Smiles everyone, smiles.” I can still hear Ricardo Montalban saying this like nobody else could.

So what is Olivia’s song really about then? (Of course I am too innocent…)

Hey, us white girls wore yarn created ponchos too! Back then moms stayed home and pretty much did it all out of sheer necessity.

Ah, skates. Ah, bikes with banana seats and flowered plastic baskets. So cool! Even better, we never wore helmets or elbow and kneepads! How did we survive?

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary Ellen had the snowcone maker and I think it died a valiant death of over use. I had a pink bike with a bananna seat. I rode with training wheels for almost a year and then I was the bicycle queen! ahh roller skates never too great on those in fact I sprained my wrist at skateland my 5th grade year and I haven't been on skates since(don't even ask me about roller blades)

Tina, I will explain Olivia's song to you. But I will do it in person.
And yes I had a yarn poncho my grandma made it even had a beret to match.
rose

 

Post a Comment

<< Home